El Campo Semana 5

technology issues !
Holaaa ! 
First, I would like to complain about how deceivingly awful calling home is...Yes yes seeing the beautiful faces of the fambam was truly a joyful occasion, buttttt Skyping from a computer with unreliable internet and a semi functioning webcam is not my favorite thing. I could hear everyone, but they couldn't hear me, and it was really sad. And I felt like I was a small animal that couldn't communicate with its  owners that it needed to be taken out go to the bathroom (hopefully you understand the agony from that metaphor). Anyways, found out that A LOT of missionaries actually call home, to spare the stress of the mishaps with technology. ill still get to call Mom again for 15 minutes, annddddd I get to use the "divorced parents" card and call Dad for 30 minutes, so that's awesome :)
attempt to Skype but no sound :(


So...this week was real tough. Hermana Tapia and I chose to focus on the Christlike Attribute of patience, and ohhhh boyyyy was our patience tested...
I started the week off real strong by making it out of the house and to the La Valle for zone meeting, without my name tag. classic. Thankfully there was an Hermana who had left her name tag in the pension of the other Hermanas, so I was Hermana Anderson for the day. I was getting a lot of confused faces, and then some people actually were calling me Hermana Anderson, so it was an easy way to figure out who still has yet to learn my name.

As you recall from last week I was supposed to sing a solo with Elder Thronton accompanying me for the meeting, butttt we hadn't gotten to practice or find music soooo we just assumed that we would do it the following week. FALSE!!!
"and now we will have a special musical number from Elder Thronton and Hermana Cannon"
whooooo?
oh good. Sooooo we winged it I sang, "I Know My Redeemer Lives" and I was super shaky and a little nauseous for the first verse, but after that it was fine, spiritual, and all that good stuff.

THEY ALL LIED! Winter here is REAL and it does get cold! But, winter here is super
annoying because its cold in the morning, like 75 degrees by noon, and then at night its so cold I sleep in my jeans and wind breaker...  Also, my fashion sense had hit an ultimate low when I left the house with long Spanx under basketball shorts under my skirt, two undershirts under my shirt, and two sweaters under my wind breaker...I vaguely resembled Joey, from Friends, during the episode when he puts on all of Chandler's clothes all at once. 

I did something I swore I would never do and I bought a pair of Crocs...but they are super cute, for Crocs, and there is too much mud sometimes to not have them. so they are a necessary evil.

Sad. The zipper on my shoulder bag broke so I had to buy a new backpack. It is purple, and with my short hair, someone told me yesterday that I looked like, Dora La Exploradora (Dora the Explorer) hehehe mehhhhhhh no bueno  :(

WATER!!!!!
So everyone has been asking me about the water sichiation...BASICALLY, if you are going to a country that has a sketchy water system, the CCM (MTC) will give you a handy dandy water filtration system water bottle. It is awesome!!! And I have not gotten sick! However, everyone, especially the Elders all make fun of me, because everyone usually ditches their water bottles and stomachs the water after the first week. FOOLS. Esta bien, I would rather take the ridicule, than have diarrhea!

I just wanted to say THANKYOUUUUUU to everyone that's been writing me and to let you know that I print off EVERY email, so I can read EVERY word, and I will eventually respond to ALL of them!! So keep sending your love and support it means so much to me to have you in my corner.

I have developed a slight obsession with Pepas (shortbread cookies with a dollop of jam in the middle) They are borrato, rico, y capo (cheap, yummy, and awesome)
Also, I discovered that my biggest weakness is pan casero = homemade bread. There are always guys roaming the streets carrying loaves of fresh bread, and lets just say my self control is being stretched to its limits. hehehe pan con dulce de leche is soooooo goooooodddd. Actually, FACT: Dulce de Leche makes ANYTHING taste better.

2 language barrier blunders:
Hermana Tapia was explaining the difference between abeja = bee, and oveja = sheep. Then I was showing off my uncanny impression of a sheep. Then while I was baaaaaaaaaing, I tripped and an old lady laughed and called me a drunk.   Next, we were teaching this lady that had hair so long, it reached the top of her knee (YIKES) But it was really pretty so I told her, "¡su caballo es muy hermosa!" andddd cabello = hair and CABALLO= horse...so I told her her horse was beautiful. she didnt have a horse. she just looked confused and slightly offended.
Hot dog !

The cure to laziness and fatigue is WORK! I have found that the more diligent we are the more success we have and the less tired I am. And this proved so true throughout this past week

Hna Tapia got so sick that we  had to go back to the pension so she could rest and I read the Book of Mormon the whole time. I just love every moment that I get to read its words. I am slightly ashamed that it has taken me this long to realize how amazing, powerful, and inspiring all of it words are, and my testimony of its messages is growing stronger every day. I know with all of my heart that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and I feel so privileged to share it with these people everyday.

I dont know Spanish,
I dont know the lessons,
I dont know the Book of Mormon,
I dont really know anything...
BUT my desire to serve is so strong, and I know that this work and my efforts are and will change hearts and lives of these people and eventually (hopefully) I will be a good missionary and teacher.

lots of love, miss you all!!!!

Te Amo
Chau.


Hermana Cannon




No comments:

Post a Comment